Doggy Candy Canes Recipe11 December 2022
Provided by Elmo's Kitchen
Reviewed by Dr Jill McMaster BVM&S MBA MRCVS, Veterinary Surgeon and in-house expert at BorrowMyDoggy on 13 Jun 2023
Get into the Christmas spirit and bake your pup, owned or borrowed, some doggy candy canes. Here's an easy, healthy, and delicious recipe from our friends at Elmo’s Kitchen!
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 225ml water
- 350g wholemeal flour
- 30g dry milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp beetroot powder
1. Preheat oven to 180℃ (160℃ for fan-assisted ovens).
2. Whisk together vegetable oil, egg and water.
3. Add flour and dry milk.
4. Combine and knead the dough for a couple of minutes.
5. Divide the dough in half
6. Mix 1 tsp of vanilla extract in one half of the dough and 3 tsp of beetroot powder in the other half. The dough will still be somewhat sticky.
7. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
8. Break off a small piece of each dough colour and roll into a thin, snake-like shape.
9. ‘Weave’ each colour together to create a Candy Cane.
10. Place your Candy Canes on a sheet of parchment paper and bake for 12-15 minutes at 180℃ (160℃ for fan-assisted ovens).
11. Cool completely before storing and keep in a sealed container for up to 1 week.
Make sure to always adjust your dog’s daily food allowance so they don’t gain weight while enjoying their delicious new snacks.
Any new food should be added gradually to your dog's diet so they don't get a poorly tummy. Avoid giving your dog any foods that they are allergic or intolerant to, or if advised against by your vet.
Other Christmas recipes
To find your dog a loving borrower for extra walks, exercise and attention, sign up and begin messaging pawtential matches in your area.
Know someone who’d love this?
Want to hear about a different kind of dog care that both you and your dog will love?
Or perhaps you’re a dog lover who can’t have one of your own right now?
We have the pawfect solution, BorrowMyDoggy!