Get into the Christmas spirit and bake your pup, owned or borrowed, some doggy candy canes. Here's an easy, healthy, and delicious recipe from our friends at Elmo’s Kitchen!
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 225ml water
- 350g wholemeal flour
- 30g dry milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp beetroot powder
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Whisk together vegetable oil, egg and water.
- Add flour and dry milk.
- Combine and knead the dough for a couple of minutes.
- Divide the dough in half
- Mix 1 tsp of vanilla extract in one half of the dough and 3 tsp of beetroot powder in the other half. The dough will still be somewhat sticky.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Break off a small piece of each dough color and roll together into a thin, snake-like shape.
- ‘Weave’ each color together to create a Candy Cane.
- Place your Candy Canes on a sheet of parchment paper and bake for 12-15 minutes at 180 C.
- Cool completely before storing.
Make sure to always adjust your dog’s daily food allowance so they don’t gain weight while enjoying their delicious new snacks.
To find your dog a loving borrower for extra walks, exercise and attention, sign up and begin messaging pawtential matches in your area.