All natural? Check.
Easy to make? Check.
Will keep your dog entertained for hours? Check.
This DIY sweet potato chew toy ticks all the boxes.
Thanks to our doggy dietary consultant friends at Elmo’s Kitchen for the recipe!
- 1 organic large sweet potato
- 1 freeze dried dog treat, such as these
- 12mm of natural hemp rope (*the rope must be all natural hemp!)
- Preheat oven to 100C
- Wash sweet potatoes well
- Slice the sweet potato into 1- 1 ½ cm round pieces
- Remove the centre of each slice. An apple core or cookie cutter can help
- Grate the dog treat
- Place the sweet potato rings on a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Sprinkle with the grated dog treat
- Bake for 5 hours
- Remove from oven and let cool
- Make a knot in one end of the hemp rope
- String on the sweet potato rings
- Tie a knot on the other end
Make sure to always adjust your dog’s daily food allowance so they don’t gain weight while enjoying their delicious new snacks.
To find your dog a loving borrower for extra walks, exercise and attention, sign up and begin messaging pawtential matches in your area.