Berry Almond Cake31 August 2022
Reviewed by Dr Jill McMaster BVM&S MBA MRCVS, Veterinary Surgeon and in-house expert at BorrowMyDoggy on 12 June 2023
Fruitcake… Some love it, some hate it, but your dog shouldn’t miss out on it! So we’ve whipped up a fruity cake recipe that your dog can enjoy. Pawfect for a dog birthday or if your pooch just deserves a delicious treat.
- 350g almond flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 eggs
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Handful of chopped strawberries
- Small tub of organic plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons dog-friendly almond or peanut butter
1. Preheat your oven to 180℃ (160℃ for fan-assisted ovens)
2. Mix together flour, honey, eggs and half of the coconut oil
3. Fold in strawberries to the cake mixture
4. Grease a cake tin with the remaining coconut oil
5. Pour the cake mixture into the tin and bake for 10-15 minutes
6. For the icing, mix yogurt and peanut butter and leave in the fridge while cake cooks
7. Take your cake out the oven and leave to cool before icing
8. Decorate your cake with icing, treats of your choice and any remaining strawberries
9. Cut into bite size pieces of your dog and let them enjoy!
This recipe should be able to feed 4-5 dogs, or a number of servings for 1 or 2 dogs. Once served keep in an air-tight box in the fridge and consume within 3 days.
Ensure to use dog friendly peanut butter, and avoid those that contain xylitol which is toxic to dogs. If you suspect your dog has any allergies to the ingredients used try using a substitute or avoid this recipe.
Make sure to always adjust your dog’s daily food allowance so they don’t gain weight while enjoying their delicious new snacks. These are treats and should not be substituted for a meal and should be enjoyed in moderation.
Any new food should be added gradually to your dog's diet so they don't get a poorly tummy. Avoid giving your dog any foods that they are allergic or intolerant to, or if advised against by your vet.
To find a borrower for your dog or the pawfect doggy to borrow, for extra walks, exercise and attention, sign up and begin messaging members in your area.
Know someone who’d love this?
Want to hear about a different kind of dog care that both you and your dog will love?
Or perhaps you’re a dog lover who can’t have one of your own right now?
We have the pawfect solution, BorrowMyDoggy!