BorrowMyDoggy Third Party Liability Insurance

The BorrowMyDoggy Third Party Liability Insurance is provided by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc ("RSA"). The policy number is RSAP3086147200. RSA is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

Please note the terms and conditions of the insurance are subject to change.

Beyond subscribing for the Additional Services, it is not necessary for Subscribed Users to take any additional steps to receive the benefit of this insurance.


The Third Party Liability Insurance covers persons who are:

  • Residents of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland; and
  • Subscribed Users (as defined in the Terms and Conditions) of BorrowMyDoggy Limited, provided both the Owner of the dog and the Borrower of that Owner’s dog (as applicable) are Subscribed Users.

To clarify, this means an actively subscribed borrower is insured if an incident occurs while taking care of an actively subscribed owner’s dog. An actively subscribed owner is also insured at all times whilst in the care of their own dog. If the borrower is actively subscribed, but the owner’s subscription has lapsed, neither party are insured when the borrower takes care of the dog. Equally if the borrower is not actively subscribed while taking care of the dog, neither owner nor borrower are insured, during the time the borrower takes care of the dog.

See further details about eligibility requirements in our Terms and Conditions.


The insurance cover provided is up to £1,000,000 per incident if the Owner’s dog causes damage or injury to another person, their property, or pets whilst under the control of the Owner or the Borrower. Damage to holiday accommodation (see below regarding what constitutes a holiday) is also covered. Note that the insurance is third party only, and does not cover any damage to the Owner’s dog. We recommend Owners take out their own pet insurance to cover damage to their own dog and veterinary expenses.

The insurance includes your legal defence costs (up to £250,000) in such situations where a damages claim is brought in a civil court.

The insurance covers the above-described incidents which occur in either:

  • Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland, or
  • Elsewhere in the world, other than offshore (defined below), but only if the trip was a holiday (i.e. temporary, up to six months) of a Subscribed User normally resident in the territories described above.

'Offshore' means any offshore installation in the sea or tidal waters used or intended for the drilling, exploration, production, storage or recovery of gas or oil, or any support or accommodation vessel used or intended for use in connection with such installation.


The following are excluded from coverage under this insurance:

  • Fines, compensation and penalties connected with or resulting from a criminal court prosecution.
  • Businesses or working dogs. To clarify, dogs who visit nursing homes with volunteers would be considered to be working dogs and therefore excluded from the insurance. However, dogs which are taken to work, provided they are not being used for work purposes, would be covered by this insurance. Assistance dogs (hearing dogs for the deaf or guide dogs for the blind) would also be covered by this insurance.
  • Medical or veterinary expenses for the Owner’s dog which is the subject of this insurance.
  • Damage or injury caused by any pets other than the dog described on the Owner’s profile.
  • Damage or injury caused by the Owner’s dog when it is not under the control of the Owner or the Borrower (who is also a Subscribed User).
  • Dogs covered by the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991, for example pit bull terrier and Japanese tosa.

There is an excess of £150 per claim in respect of third party property damage.

How do I make an insurance claim?

Please call 0330 102 4257, Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm to speak to the RSA claims department.