9 things your dog should avoid this Easter time

We take a further look at the Easter dangers for dogs

Easter is a time of year that lots of us look forward to. Spring is in the air and there’s normally plenty of indulgent food in the fridge. However, foods that are a treat for us can be really dangerous for dogs. 

We’ve spoken to Kathleen Pohl, a veterinary surgeon at Zetland Road, a My Family Vets practice, to put together a handy list of Easter foods and flowers that are toxic for dogs. 


Easter Eggs


C:\Users\pr.ztredland\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.MSO\829340A5.tmp

Let’s start with the main offender. Naturally, Easter eggs are everywhere at Easter and they’re all made of chocolate, which contains a chemical called theobromine that is toxic to dogs. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and in very serious cases, even death


Theobromine is found in cocoa, so the darker the chocolate, the more harmful it is to dogs. You might have heard that it’s ok to give your dog white chocolate, and although it doesn’t contain enough theobromine to cause symptoms, it does still have a high sugar content and can cause stomach upsets. 


So if you have got Easter eggs or other sweet treats laying around your house, make sure to keep an eye on your dog, because if they eat chocolate there could be serious consequences.


Hot cross buns 


C:\Users\pr.ztredland\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.MSO\15A25EFB.tmp

There are many different types of hot cross buns these days, but the vast majority of them contain dried fruit such as raisins, sultanas and currants, which are toxic to dogs. 


These dried fruits can cause acute kidney injury in dogs, however, the reason behind this is not fully understood. Some dogs can eat fairly large quantities of these types of dried fruit without experiencing symptoms, whereas, for other dogs only a handful of raisins can be fatal. 


It can be the case that the toxic effects of ingesting raisins, currants and sultanas may not be apparent in dogs for several days. The longer the fruit is in your dog’s system, the more damage it can do. 


As there aren’t guidelines on how much fruit your dog needs to consume for it to be dangerous, if you suspect that your dog has eaten any raisins, currants or sultanas, call your vet immediately.  


Sugar-free sweets


C:\Users\pr.ztredland\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.MSO\F6544DC1.tmp

Lots of sugar-free sweets contain xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. If your dog eats sugar-free sweets, their blood sugar levels could drop to dangerously low levels, which can cause liver damage and can potentially be fatal. 


It’s a good idea to steer clear of giving your dog any sweets, even if they don’t contain xylitol. Consuming lots of sugar can lead to weight gain as well as dental issues for your dog. 


Cooked Bones


C:\Users\pr.ztredland\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.MSO\42EA1677.tmp

It can be tempting to give your dog a treat after you’ve finished your Sunday roast. Although bones aren’t poisonous to dogs, they can split and break up into fragments when your dog chews them. This can cause pieces of bone to get lodged in your dog’s throat, which can lead to choking. 


Garlic & onions 


C:\Users\pr.ztredland\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.MSO\E7BCFE9D.tmp

Although garlic does a lot of great work when it comes to bringing a fresh spring flavour to roast lamb, unfortunately it’s toxic for dogs. Garlic causes upset stomachs and can damage your dog’s red blood cells. 


It’s the same story for onions, so make sure to be extra careful when you’re preparing food in the kitchen. 


Synthetic Easter grass


C:\Users\pr.ztredland\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.MSO\B4B5E7B3.tmp

You might have seen this stuff lining Easter hampers and baskets, it looks great but can be potentially dangerous for dogs. Colourful synthetic easter grass is non-digestible and can easily get stuck in your dog’s intestine, which could require surgery to remove. 


Daffodils 


C:\Users\pr.ztredland\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.MSO\6F9BAF39.tmp

Daffodils are everywhere in spring, they are commonly found in fields, woodlands and most supermarkets. Daffodil flowers and bulbs are poisonous to dogs and can cause vomiting and diarrhoea. Your dog can get sick just by drinking water from a vase that has had daffodils in.  


Tulips


C:\Users\pr.ztredland\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.MSO\14508EAF.tmp

These colourful flowers are another one to watch out for this spring. Tulips can irritate your dog’s mouth and can also lead to heart problems and difficulty breathing. The bulb is the most dangerous part of the plant for dog’s, and if you suspect that your dog has eaten a tulip bulb contact your vet immediately. 


Cherry trees


C:\Users\pr.ztredland\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.MSO\4BD67B95.tmp

Cherry trees pose all sorts of problems for dogs. The seeds, twigs and leaves of the cherry tree can cause hyperventilation, seizures, abnormal heart rate and in extreme cases, even death. 



What to do if your dog eats dangerous items this Easter


If you suspect that your dog has eaten anything that is toxic, firstly you should stop them from eating any more of the dangerous item, then you should call your vet. If possible, preserve the packaging so that your vet can see exactly what your dog has eaten. 

Join BorrowMyDoggy

BorrowMyDoggy connects dog owners with local volunteer borrowers for walks, holiday care and dog sitting. It’s simple, affordable and safe.

All members take our safety checks before connecting and membership includes access to a 24/7 Vet line and accident and third-party liability insurance.

Learn more and get started