How to teach your dog to stay
For some dogs, teaching them to ‘wait’ can be really challenging, because they love to move around and explore. Here are some tips that will make this task a bit easier for you and your dog to get it right.
- First, ask your dog to ‘SIT’.
- Then say ‘STAY’ with the palm of your hand in front of you.
- Step back and reward them with a treat and praise them if they stay.
- Gradually step further and further away before giving them the treat.
- Always reward your dog for staying put.
- They need to master how to ‘SIT’, before training this command.
Put this tip into action and let us know if it helped your dog, owned or borrowed.
BorrowMyDoggy connects dog owners with local borrowers for walks, sitting and holiday care.
If you haven’t already, sign up to BorrowMyDoggy and help us leave “Pawprints of Happiness’ on the lives of dogs and humans.
Know someone who’d love this?
Want to hear about a different kind of dog care that both you and your dog will love?
Or perhaps you’re a dog lover who can’t have one of your own right now?
We have the pawfect solution, BorrowMyDoggy!