How to teach your dog to stay15 February 2023
For some dogs, teaching them to ‘wait’ can be really challenging, because they love to move around and explore. Here are some tips that will make this task a bit easier for you and your dog to get it right.
- First, ask your dog to ‘SIT’.
- Then say ‘STAY’ with the palm of your hand in front of you.
- Step back and reward them with a treat and praise them if they stay.
- Gradually step further and further away before giving them the treat.
- Always reward your dog for staying put.
- They need to master how to ‘SIT’, before training this command.
This article is for information only, and should never replace any advice, diagnosis or treatment from your veterinary surgeon. Always contact your local vet or out of hours vet without delay if you have any concerns about your dog.
If you're looking for some dog care support from a local, trusted dog lover or want to spend time with a pawsome local dog check out BorrowMyDoggy.
Know someone who’d love this?
Want to hear about a different kind of dog care that both you and your dog will love?
Or perhaps you’re a dog lover who can’t have one of your own right now?
We have the pawfect solution, BorrowMyDoggy!