Teach your dog to play fetch
Do you want to teach your dog to play fetch? Here’s how in 5 easy steps!
- Encourage your dog to get excited about the toy. Reward them with affection or treats when they grab it.
- Toss the fetching toy a short distance. When the dog goes for it, immediately reward again.
- Once your dog has caught the first toy, show them a second one. This gets your dog used to running back to you after they’ve caught the toy.
- If your dog stops before reaching you, back away while using encouraging praise for them to bring it to you. Once the dog reaches the original spot where you were, offer praise and treats.
- Repeat several times until your dog retrieves all the way.
Put this tip into action and let us know if it helped your dog, owned or borrowed.
BorrowMyDoggy connects dog owners with local borrowers for walks, sitting and holiday care.
If you haven’t already, sign up to BorrowMyDoggy and help us leave “Pawprints of Happiness’ on the lives of dogs and humans.
Sign up now
Know someone who’d love this?
Want to hear about a different kind of dog care that both you and your dog will love?
Or perhaps you’re a dog lover who can’t have one of your own right now?
We have the pawfect solution, BorrowMyDoggy!