Teach your dog to play fetch13 March 2023
Do you want to teach your dog to play fetch? Here’s how in 5 easy steps!
- Encourage your dog to get excited about the toy. Reward them with affection or treats when they grab it.
- Toss the fetching toy a short distance. When the dog goes for it, immediately reward again.
- Once your dog has caught the first toy, show them a second one. This gets your dog used to running back to you after they’ve caught the toy.
- If your dog stops before reaching you, back away while using encouraging praise for them to bring it to you. Once the dog reaches the original spot where you were, offer praise and treats.
- Repeat several times until your dog retrieves all the way.
This article is for information only, and should never replace any advice, diagnosis or treatment from your veterinary surgeon. Always contact your local vet or out of hours vet without delay if you have any concerns about your dog.
If you're looking for some dog care support from a local, trusted dog lover or want to spend time with a pawsome local dog check out BorrowMyDoggy.
Know someone who’d love this?
Want to hear about a different kind of dog care that both you and your dog will love?
Or perhaps you’re a dog lover who can’t have one of your own right now?
We have the pawfect solution, BorrowMyDoggy!