How to teach your dog to come when called1 July 2023
Teaching your dog to answer to their name is one of the most important commands they can learn. This way you can ensure safety and enjoy the benefits of exercising off the lead.
- Put a lead and collar on your dog.
- Go down to their level. Say ‘COME’ while gently pulling on the lead.
- When they get to you, reward them with affection and a treat.
- Once they know how to do this, remove the lead.
- Keep practising in a safe and enclosed area.
This article is for information only, and should never replace any advice, diagnosis or treatment from your veterinary surgeon. Always contact your local vet or out of hours vet without delay if you have any concerns about your dog.
BorrowMyDoggy connects dog owners with local borrowers for walks, sitting and holiday care.
If you haven’t already, sign up to BorrowMyDoggy and help us leave “Pawprints of Happiness’ on the lives of dogs and humans.
Know someone who’d love this?
Want to hear about a different kind of dog care that both you and your dog will love?
Or perhaps you’re a dog lover who can’t have one of your own right now?
We have the pawfect solution, BorrowMyDoggy!