Welcome back to Teach My Doggy, puppy school for the absowoofly pawsome! This week, with the help of “Pawfessor Charles” we will be teaching your dog how to sit. Watch his class below:
YOU WILL NEED
- Your pups favorite treats
- A distraction free space
- Difficulty score: 1 out of 5
- Hold a small bite size treat in your hand, make sure your dog knows you have it by bringing it close to their nose.
- Once you have their attention move the treat and your hand above their head and backwards slightly.
- This movement should make them lower their bottom and into ‘sit’ position.
- As soon as they are sat say “SIT” nice and clearly, give them a treat and praise them.
- Repeat a few times over the next few days.
- Slowly start removing the treat and replacing with praise.
THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Your dog needs some time to process and learn the command, so don’t worry if they don’t get it straight away.
- Keep lessons short, around 5 to 10 minutes should be fine for a training session.
- Try not to repeat “SIT” more than once as this can confuse your pup.
- If your dog isn’t interested they may be tired, so try again in a few hours or the next day.
Class dismissed! Join us next week for our next lesson: How to teach your dog down.