Best dog shampoo7 December 2022
We all know too well that a well-earned walkie can often result in a mucky pup. Fear not, as we’ve had a sniff around and have found some pawsome products that will make your doggy look and smell wagulous.
How often should I shampoo my dog?
Google this question and the range of answers you'll get will be huge! And that's because there isn't just one simple answer. Essentially it depends on your individual dog. If for example your dog has a skin condition, your vet may have prescribed you a special shampoo that you have to use weekly. In general though, for a healthy dog that has no skin problems and short coat, every 2-3 months if usually enough. But it will need to be more often if that pup enjoys a regular mud bath or roll in fox poo!
So what shampoo can you use? If your dog has any underlying skin issues, or very sensitive skin, you should take your vet's advice on the ideal shampoo for them, as it may be that a medicated one is best for them. If they don't have any issues though, here are some shampoos on the market at the moment. Although these products are lovely, do be sure to test a small amount the first time you use them to make sure they agree with your pooch's skin, and always contact your vet with any questions or concerns.
Anicura Dog Shampoo
Cost: £15.99 for 300ml (discover here)
What we love
- Natural ingredients
- Paraben free
- 1% of each purchase donated to the Blue Cross
- Pups with sensitive skin
- Skin that would benefit from some moisture
- Longer coated dogs who need a conditioner, as they have one in the range too
Pet Head Mucky Pup Shampoo
Price - £9.98 for 300ml (discover here)
What we love:
- Leaves your puppy's coat smelling gorgeous
- Hydrating and nourishing ingredients
- Available for purchase at lots of different places
- Puppies first bathing experiences
- Those who want a vegan shampoo
Animology Fox Poo Shampoo
Price - £5.50 (for 250ml) (discover here)
What we love
- Excellent at removing foul odours from your dog's coat
- Deep cleansing, without stripping away essential skin oils
- Paraben, sulphate, silicone and SLS/SLES free
- Repeat offenders with larger bottles available
- Dogs from 6 weeks old
- Easy-rinse, so useful for pooches who don't enjoy a bath
When buying a shampoo for your pooch, remember that your dog might have more sensitive skin than others and not all products suit all dogs. Also if your dog has allergies, a skin infection, or inflamed, reddened skin you should always contact your vet before choosing a shampoo for them. But there’s so many great products out there, you should be able to find something pawfect for your pooch and if you need help, be sure to speak to your vets.
Know someone who’d love this?
Want to hear about a different kind of dog care that both you and your dog will love?
Or perhaps you’re a dog lover who can’t have one of your own right now?
We have the pawfect solution, BorrowMyDoggy!