It’s a question many dog owners ask themselves - how to properly clean your dog’s teeth? Proper dental care is essential for your dog’s health and our friends at White Cross Vets have shared these tips on how to make the process as easy as possible.
- Start by giving your dog a small sample of toothpaste - this will get them comfortable with the new taste. Ensure you use a toothpaste specially for dogs.
- Place a pea-sized amount of toothpaste on their teeth or toothbrush.
- Lift their lips and gently brush the teeth and gums in circular movements.
- Pay extra attention to the back molars and canines as tartar can quickly build up on these teeth.
- Build up to 30 seconds of brushing per side.
- Reward them with treats and praise.
Begin by brushing only a couple teeth until they’re used to it. Then gradually increase the number of teeth brushed.
BorrowMyDoggy connects dog owners with local borrowers for walks, sitting and holiday care.
If you haven’t already, sign up to BorrowMyDoggy and help us leave “Pawprints of Happiness’ on the lives of dogs and humans.