Apple pie is definitely an autumnal favourite and now your dog doesn’t have to miss out on a slice of pie. We’ve got a dog friendly recipe for you to try - it’s a really great treat for those colder months!
- 1 ½ cup plain flour
- 1 ½ cup rye flour
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 chopped apples
- For the pie cases - mix together both types of flour, coconut milk and coconut oil until a dough forms. Add more flour or oil where necessary, the dough shouldn’t be sticky.
- Dust a surface with flour and roll out your pie dough.
- Using a cookie cutter or a glass cut the dough into circles and place into a well greased muffin or pie tin.
- Ensure there is some dough left over for any decorating.
- For the filling - mix together the applesauce, apples and cinnamon.
- Spoon the filling into the pie cases.
- With the left over pie dough cut into small strips to place on top of your pie cases for decoration.
- Bake the pies at 180℃ for 25-35 minutes or until the pies are golden.
This recipe gave us 8 pies, but this will depend on your muffin tin and decoration. Once served keep in an air-tight box and consume within a week.
If you suspect your dog has any allergies to the ingredients used try using a substitute or avoid this recipe. Feel free to use any flour of your choice, like rice flour or whole wheat, depending on your dog’s dietary requirements.
Make sure to always adjust your dog’s daily food allowance so they don’t gain weight while enjoying their delicious new snacks. These are treats and should not be substituted for a meal and should be enjoyed in moderation.
To find a borrower for your dog or the pawfect doggy to borrow, for extra walks, exercise and attention, sign up and begin messaging members in your area.